Since kernel 2.6.12 udev stopped to work on my workstation. I tested nearly everything and it took me days, without any effort. But one thing was clear: It can’t be udev itself, it’s something with my debian. The problem was that udevd always hanged at boottime. Tonight I tried strace again to find any information which might be useful. I realized that there seems to be a problem with name resolution because the last call in the output shows my dns server’s address. So I tried a a couple of things and found out that pinging an external address had a very similiar strace output. After a while it was clear: It’s a problem with /etc/nsswitch.conf. There’s one line in my! config that looks like this:
hosts: files dns ldap
Although the ldap server works I decided to remove ldap. Believe it or not: This solved the udev problem.
Usually I track down every reason of a problem but in this case, I don’t care. At least for today